Free Web Services. Really?
Published: March 23, 2018 | Author: Brian Deckard | Comments: Comments Off on Free Web Services. Really?
So you thought you’d save a buck and build your own website using a free service?
How’s that working for you? If it is working for you now, there is no guarantee this solution will continue to work. Many of the “free” web services out there have some pretty interesting small print that can really cause trouble for you in the long run. Every week we get calls from people who have encountered these problems. Let me tell you: it is MUCH easier and MUCH less expensive to create your website correctly the first time.
Consider this: you’ve poured your heart and soul into building a new business, but you cut corners by using a free website developer. Just how dedicated are you to the success of your business? What will customers think when they see your web address: MyNewAmazingBusiness [at] randomfreehost.com. That’s not very professional if you ask me.
Why free websites are a bad idea:
- Proprietary templates that are not customizable
- Limited space
- Search engines do not value free sites as much. You will never have good SEO.
- No control over ads on your site
- Little to no tech support
- Your site may not be free forever.
and my favorite…
- You do not OWN your site. Not one tiny bit. None of it is yours to control. At the whim of your host, your site can go POOF! Gone. Forever.
Hopefully, by now you understand what I’m saying. “But money is tight and we just can’t afford to spend thousands right now.” I get it. Believe me. There are a few legitimate ways you can build your site from scratch for a low cost.
- Buy your domain. There are a lot of sites out there that sell domains for as little as $5 a year. Some will even throw in a basic level of hosting and design platforms for a low monthly cost under $20 a month: deckardandcompany.services
- Go direct to the source. Programs such as WordPress, Shopify, and Joomla! offer hundreds of free site templates that can be customized to fit your needs.
- Call the professionals. There are a lot of qualified and friendly web developers out there (like us: Deckard & Company) who will work with you and your tight budget.
For most new business ventures, you don’t need millions of dollars of coding like Target or Amazon. You can build a perfectly wonderful and useful website that fits your needs for a lot less than you’d imagine.
Written by: Brian Deckard
So, what do I do? Well, I am an internet marketer, including website design & development, SEO strategist, social media marketer, and so much more!